Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chicago Cubs' Rich Harden preparing for full season

MESA, Ariz. — Rich Harden can only laugh at the concerns that his arm will fall off this season.

Harden, who'll make his Cactus League debut Tuesday, said he's on schedule to be ready for his first regular-season start April 10 in Milwaukee.

"Six starts is a normal spring," he said. "Everybody was thinking I was behind schedule. Really, I'm only starting a few days later than normal, and I'm still getting the same amount of starts.

"I'm feeling great, feeling strong. There's no doubt in my mind I'll be ready. I know everybody is concerned about that, or everybody outside the organization. Here, everybody knows what's going on."

This is a key season for Harden, who has a 41-20 career record and a 3.23 ERA in 109 games, including 101 starts. He's eligible for free agency in November and could command a lucrative deal if he stays healthy.

"My priority is going out and pitching a full season for the Cubs," he said.

Bullpen blues: During Sunday's game, manager Lou Piniella yanked Luis Vizcaino with two outs in the fifth after the veteran right-hander gave up a game-tying two-run single to Ian Kinsler after loading the bases on three walks.

"Well, you can't walk three people, that's for sure," Piniella said.

Kevin Hart was no better. Trailing 3-2, Hart loaded the bases in the ninth and fell behind Greg Golson 2-0. Piniella sent out pitching coach Larry Rothschild, but Golson hit a grand slam to put the game out of reach.

"He needs to improve," Piniella said. "I talked to Larry about it. Getting behind hitters. I know it's still a little early in camp, but I haven't seen [progress]."

Hart is likely to get a chance to improve at Triple-A Iowa, not with the Cubs.

Related Posts by Categories



Buy MLB Merchandise at our online MLB Shop DieHardFans.com

0 comments: